Aspiring - "desiring or striving for recognition or advancement"

Rouleur - "type of racing cyclist that is considered a good all rounder"



Tuesday 22 March 2011

Distance

It’s what I crave. Miles on rubber under wheels.

I’m not a fast rider. I can ride fast at times and I may be faster than some of the people I ride with but I’m not fast. Not in the true sense of the word anyway. I may aspire or pretend, but I’m not racer. With some hard work and improved fitness, I could become a good Cat 4 racer, maybe even become a Cat 3 but I’m not fast.

I read about people all the time, making the step up to racing and doing well. Triathletes who are fit but not racers, winning and climbing rank. Good for them.

Next year, I’ll give racing another go. Not because I have visions of glory, but because it’s fun. This year though, I’m all about distance. Going far for no particular reason but because I can.

I’ve had glimmers of it before, when I look around and others are flagging and I feel fresh. Determination and practice, that’s all it is. I’ve got plenty of the first. I know it’s inside me, I just have to try harder to coax it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment