Aspiring - "desiring or striving for recognition or advancement"

Rouleur - "type of racing cyclist that is considered a good all rounder"



Wednesday 2 November 2011

Carbon Dream

I’m getting pretty lazy at this whole blogging lark. Sometimes, life just gets in the way though…..


Back in September, I finally got around to retiring my Allez from Summer duties and bought myself a Planet X Nanolight. After much deliberation over what to get and whether to create my own carbon masterpiece, I went for the safe option and ordered from an established company. Planet X are known for producing good frames and bike builds at a very competitive price.

I saw that they had an offer of a Nanolight with part SRAM Red groupset and decided that was the bike for me. I added a couple of extra items, like the Nanolight carbon Ergo bars and I have to say I’m very pleased with the end result. The bike came with the Planet X Model B wheelset, which are a great set of wheels but I swapped them over for my Fulcrum Racing 3s. The final bike weighs in around 7.5kg and rides like an absolute dream.


There’s still room for some improvement when funds allow – like a carbon stem and seatpost, along with completing the SRAM Red groupset by buying a crankset and brakes but I’m overjoyed with the bike as it is. Since buying it, I’ve put a good 400 miles on it (in dry, sunny weather only!) and the ride is a revelation.

Having only ridden aluminium bikes before, the lightweight, stiff carbon frame handles precisely and is a pleasure to ride up hills. The gearing shifts precisely and I think that after riding Shimano for so long, I actually think that SRAM is an improvement.

So, the Allez has been relegated to winter use, which is a shame because we’ve been through so much. I guess things move on now and it gives me the option to ride more over winter without the hassle of constantly cleaning the Allez to put it on the turbo. I think this winter will all be about spending more time outdoors, which is never a bad thing…….

No comments:

Post a Comment