Aspiring - "desiring or striving for recognition or advancement"

Rouleur - "type of racing cyclist that is considered a good all rounder"



Thursday 24 February 2011

Men at “work”

It seems everywhere I go at the minute the roads resemble a war zone. Potholes, road works, temporary traffic lights, burst water mains and essential gas works. I wouldn’t mind so much but the same roads seem to be continually dug up all the time and whenever I go past the sites are always devoid of people working. There’s a “men at work” sign but no actual men at work.


I seem to be dodging the same potholes day in, day out. The same ones that I reported and have now been decorated with a ring of spray paint by the local authority. Surely it can’t take much longer to chuck a bit of tarmac in there rather than carry out road graffiti?

Even when the work does get completed, we’re left with a patchwork of repairs where savings are attempted as no contractor wants to resurface an entire stretch of road. So, what are we going to do about it? Nothing because we’re British and we just ignore it and retain that stiff upper lip.

I suppose the only benefit of these road works are seeing sights like I saw today, a workman in a mini tipper trying to get some four wheel drift on a corner…….

No comments:

Post a Comment