Aspiring - "desiring or striving for recognition or advancement"

Rouleur - "type of racing cyclist that is considered a good all rounder"



Wednesday 15 June 2011

Talk with the legs.....

The sun sets lazily in the background as I survey my surroundings. This is alright.

Today’s been a hectic day. It seems everyone wanted a piece of me. Deadline this, deadline that, help with this, help with that. I don’t have a stressful job and I’m a relatively relaxed person but sometimes it can be draining.

The tension’s drifting away now though, neck loosening and the strains of the day disappearing into space. I take a deep breath and get a lungful of the humid, dense air. There’s a slightly different smell in the air tonight, a mixture between the sweet smell emanating from the flowers and the faint smell of an incoming storm. The air feels heavy around, perfectly balanced ahead of the thunder to come.

It’s good to be out, perched up high on the North Downs, close to civilization but a million miles away from the humdrum of every day life. This is the best part of the year, before the heat of a full summer but with warm, light evenings where I can snatch a ride after work.

Sometimes it’s good to stop for a while. So much can be lost by simply keeping my head down and turning a pedal. I think that sometimes I concentrate too much on times and speeds and forget to actually enjoy what I’m doing, I spend my time talking with my legs more than listening to my head.

Up here I can relax and forget about life for five minutes. A guy on a mountain bike cruises past. We exchange nods as he carries on, carving a path and enjoying his own adventure. Nothing comes close to an evening ride in the early summer sun. He knows it and I know it.

Next time you’re out on a ride, take a break somewhere nice and survey your surroundings. Breathe in the experience around you and escape the rat race.

No comments:

Post a Comment