Aspiring - "desiring or striving for recognition or advancement"

Rouleur - "type of racing cyclist that is considered a good all rounder"



Tuesday 21 February 2012

Shhh, it's a secret...

I want to get this straight from the start. I hate running. Over the last few weeks though, I’ve noticed that I’ve got lazier and slightly fatter. Since taking up cycling, I have lost weight but my upper body is still rounder than I like and, although I do have a reasonable level of endurance, I lack the lung capacity for sustained efforts. When you throw everything into the mix, I need to do something other than cycling. Yoga is good and I’m enjoying it but I need the extra bit of cardio. This morning, I had a later start at work so I decided to get up early and go for a run. I'm keeping this pretty quiet though amongst my cycling buddies (they never read this blog anyway. In fact, I’m pretty sure nobody does). Stealth training if you like. I'm hoping to lose a fair chunk of weight and increase my stamina prior to the start of those spring rides. I'm hoping to turn up, buff and lean and get the leg up on the season ahead.

Did I enjoy this morning's run? Nope. I managed a pathetic 1.6 miles but I guess everyone starts somewhere. Running distances are feeble though. In cycling terms, in 1.6 miles I’ve barely clipped in and adjusted my crotch. I will be running again though, often, perhaps every day until I develop some decent skills or until KFC go bust. It'll help for my next hair brain idea, or fad if you like. More details to follow at a later date. Clue: it involves outdoors and heights and the Alps or similar.....

2 comments:

  1. Keep at it, gets easier very quickly. Try running off road, you might even discover some new trails to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Nick. I'm heading down to the New Forest for the weekend and for the first time, without a bike! Hoping (I use the term loosely) to do some running so i'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete