Aspiring - "desiring or striving for recognition or advancement"

Rouleur - "type of racing cyclist that is considered a good all rounder"



Tuesday 11 May 2010

O! What’s occurring?


Where have I been you ask? Nowhere is the unfortunate reply, just very very busy.

So what’s been happening? How many more questions am I going to direct at myself like this? Shall I risk one more? Is it a risk too far?

I guess most people that read this blog want to know how the cycling is going so I shall start with that…..

After my trip to Wales the other week, I’ve been feeling pretty strong. I’ve managed a few short rides and have tried to stick with the daily training before work. The week immediately following the weekend in Wales, I eased up slightly as my body was feeling a bit tired. I seemed to be riding stronger on the actual rides themselves but then was aching the following day(s) so cut back a little for a few days.
Since then, the mornings have picked back up again. Driven on by the ridiculous amount of mileage other people are doing in preparation for the Paris trip, I decided to plan a long solo ride. I planned an 80 miles route (ok in all honesty I stole it from someone else on mapmyride and reversed it so made it my own) out into Kent Surrey and Sussex.
80 miles is beyond what I’d ever done before so I was mainly concerned about my fuelling. I took 3 flapjacks and a couple of malt loaf slices, 2 bottles of High 5 carb/protein 4:1 mix and some hard cash to buy more drinks en route. Probably overkill but I like food.
The route itself was all new to me as well so I filled my Garmin Edge 305 with waypoints and hoped for the best. I took an OS Landranger map as backup too so that I could find my way back should a horde of badgers mug me (would badgers bother taking the map?) or some other emergency took place.
Carrying the equivalent of a small convenience store about my person (along with my usual phone, keys, Britney Spears CD and kitchen sink) did create it’s own problems.
Usually on the bike, I have a small seatpack that contains the bare essentials such as multitool, spare tube, some self adhesive patches and tyre levers. The only space left in the pack was quickly filled with a retractable wire lock (in case of any pit stops). These locks are best to useless but will add seconds to someone walking off with my bike whilst I’m buying food so I thought it was necessary. This left only my jersey pockets to stuff with everything else and resulted in me looking like the Michelin man with his head back to front. I’ve since solved this issue by purchasing a top tube mounted bag for carrying snacks.

I set off nice and early to make sure I was back for the school run in the afternoon and after dicing through the rush hour traffic, headed into the country. It was a beautiful spring day and the first 40 miles were extremely picturesque. I was feeling good and stopped off for a drink at a little shop in Hartfield. After that, things got particularly tough and the hills seemed relentless. I’m not going to lie about this - the last 40 miles weren’t very nice. The scenery was good but 80 miles is a long ride with your own company. I broke up the monotony with some singing and wise cracking but found my own jokes offensive so decided to stop before a fight broke out.
One of my happier points was when I reached Merstham and I thought, “Great I’m nearly home.” This was still 10 miles away from my house though…….
Anyway, I made it back in one piece and with hindsight, it was an enjoyable day, just very tough to do alone. It has made me more confident about riding to Paris as I figure that 80 miles on my own is the equivalent of 100-120 in a group with the slipstreaming effect.
I plan on following lots of wheels on the trip……..

No comments:

Post a Comment