Aspiring - "desiring or striving for recognition or advancement"

Rouleur - "type of racing cyclist that is considered a good all rounder"



Friday 5 March 2010

A pleasant day on two wheels



Yesterday saw the first day this year where I had a day off and the forecast was dry. I got to go out with a buddy and managed to put in a solid 65.5 miles, which is my longest ride to date.
Usually on longer runs, I hit the wall which I think is mainly down to not eating enough so yesterday I was really careful to make sure I took enough food out with me and eat regularly.
The route was nice and crossed the North Downs, into Surrey, Sussex and then back. Around 45 miles, I’d eaten most of what I had so we were pleased to see a newsagent where we thought we would pick up some food. We expected to be eating a cold Ginsters pie or something when we realised that we’d struck gold and found the only newsagent in Sussex that has a little bakery in the back!
I would say that the guy working there wasn’t the sharpest. My friend entered the shop, in full spandex, cleated cycling shoes and with helmet on, to be asked, “doing some cycling?”
I managed to get myself a nice chicken pasty and then saw that they did fresh coffee. I thought a double espresso would hit the spot. Einstein behind the counter looked at me and then the machine and said, “it’s only got an espresso button so I’ll have to do you that…..”

I educated the man, “Dude, press the button twice…….”

No comments:

Post a Comment