Aspiring - "desiring or striving for recognition or advancement"

Rouleur - "type of racing cyclist that is considered a good all rounder"



Friday 19 March 2010

The sensible choice…….



So, tomorrow’s the 20th March and some of you may remember that I was going to race at Hillingdon. To cut a long story short, I’m not going to now for two reasons.
The first one being, I don’t think I’m ready yet. My fitness is better than what it was but I don’t think I’m quite at race pace yet. I have been doing some good intervals but I don’t think I am at the stage where I can race for 45 minutes to an hour and be competitive.
I don’t want my first race to be a demoralising experience where I’m riding round at the back, chasing everybody. I want to be mixing it up in the pack and dishing out some pain.
The second reason is that I still haven’t sorted out a second bike yet and I don’t want to wreck the one I have and jeopardise all the work and money I’ve put into the Paris trip.
The race bike is coming via the Cycle 2 Work scheme which only runs at certain times of year through my employers so I will have to wait a few months.
I will keep an eye on the racing calendar and target something around July/August time. Like Guns N Roses say, “all we need is just a little patience……..”

Weather permitting, I’ll be dicing with my club mates on the club run instead. It’s been a while since I’ve been out with them so it should be fun….. in a punishing sort of way.

2 comments:

  1. Dude that's a heck of a long time till your first proposed race. How you gonna keep us entertained till then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ade, I'll play the spoons or something.....

    ReplyDelete