Aspiring - "desiring or striving for recognition or advancement"

Rouleur - "type of racing cyclist that is considered a good all rounder"



Thursday 11 February 2010

Pavement Physics



I’m fortunate enough to live close enough to my work that I can casually stroll in rather than mix with the cattle on public transport (8 minute walk if you’re asking).
This morning I was walking along only to feel a presence close by, that sort of feeling you get when you know someone is too close. I turned my head just to see what was going on and it was some guy walking about a foot behind me.
After a few seconds it dawned on me, this guy was obviously drafting me! Well, that changed everything. If this random stranger felt the need to conserve energy, then I was game to give him a tow.
I kept the pace steady but after some time started to tire so flicked the elbow for him to come around. The bastard didn’t even flinch. Now, I don’t mind doing my stint on the front but if someone wants to get a free draft off me and doesn’t want to play the game, that’s a different story. Sure, the guy may have time trialled from the crossing to get on my foot and I appreciate some recovery time following an effort like that but this guy was taking the piss.
There was only one thing for it, I had to drop him.

But where? I formulated a plan………..

We emerged from the underpass and Cadel (as he’s now dubbed) was still there, getting a free ride. The pavement started to rise and that’s when I let him have it, I kicked and started into a trot. He tried to follow but couldn’t hold on…..

I arrived into the office hot, sweaty but victorious and that’s a scent people can’t help but admire. I felt I needed to explain myself.

“Excuse my sweaty, out of breath appearance guys but some strange man was sucking my toes the whole way in…….”

No comments:

Post a Comment