Aspiring - "desiring or striving for recognition or advancement"

Rouleur - "type of racing cyclist that is considered a good all rounder"



Wednesday 24 February 2010

Playing it safe



I’ve got a dilemma.

This year, I set myself 2 challenges:

1) Get a racing licence and enter some races.
2) Cycle to Paris.

I had a chat with a coach. I got a funny look from passers by as I stood in the National Express station in Victoria and not much of a response, so I contacted a cycling coach who also happens to be a member of my club. This was a good move as he offered me some advice.

It would seem that I’m at a fork in the road and I need to make a decision. Basically, I need to set some clear goals for myself, based on what I want to achieve.
Racing requires short, sharp efforts and to work at a higher speed for a shorter distance.
Touring/long sportives require long, steady endurance efforts.

I think that in my current state, any training is good but it does mean that I won’t be focusing on one area and this may affect my performance but I need to hit both my goals this year and then decide my future in cycling after that.

I had set myself the target of racing on 20th March. I think that I will be ok by then on a fitness level but my concern is that I only own one bike at present and if I cause/get involved in a massive pile up, I could be walking to Paris in June.

I have a dilemma but now I also have a solution. I need a second bike, a race bike………

No comments:

Post a Comment